The Ultimate Protein Shake
I am often asked to share what I put in my protein shake. I am going to share with you my favourite, go-to shake recipe that will give you a burst of nutrients and keep you full for hours. This is a great breakfast or post-workout meal!
I don’t measure, but I will give you some rough estimates as to how much of each ingredient to put into your ultimate shake.
- Unsweetened almond milk (1/2 cup-1 cup)
- Protein powder (1 scoop) *I use Raw Protein by Garden of Life in chocolate – it is easy to digest and delicious.
- Chia seeds (2 tbsp) for for fibre, calcium and omega 3s
- Cinnamon (1 tsp) for blood sugar stabilization
- 1/4 frozen banana
- A few frozen berries – keep the sugar content down by limiting the amount of fruit you put in
- A handful of frozen greens (spinach, kale) or wheatgrass powder for their detoxifying/alkalizing effect
- Cacao beans (3-4) or a small handful of cacao nibs for magnesium
- Almond butter (1tbsp) or 1/2 an avocado for some good fats
Blend it up!
Warning, this is a very thick shake, so I often have to slowly add more almond milk to allow it to blend. I like to feel like I’m actually eating something as opposed to drinking my meal so I keep the consistency thick and eat it with a spoon.
This shake is delicious and FULL of amazing nutrition! Enjoy 🙂