Protein Shake: Brains & Beauty
This protein shake features two extremely health promoting ingredients that can help you lose weight, improve mental clarity, increase energy and ease joint pain.
MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) oil is a type of fat that is broken down easily by the body. It turns into ketones which are fats that your body can use for fuel to help burn fat. It also helps to keep you satiated by reducing your body’s hunger hormone (ghrelin) and feeds the brain for mental clarity (bye-bye mommy brain!).
Collagen is a protein in the body that makes up skin, hair, nails, bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons. As we age, we make less and less collagen leading to aging skin, joint problems, and loss of muscle. Taking collagen as a supplement helps to counter these processes and is especially good for someone with any degenerative conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Other superstars in this shake:
- Bee Pollen is an excellent source of B vitamins which are needed for energy production. So for a new mama who’s getting very little sleep, it is important to keep the B vitamins up to keep energized throughout the day.
- Maca Powder is an adaptogen that helps feed the stress hormones and increases libido.
- Flax Seeds help balance the estrogens in the body, act as an antioxidant, adds mucilage (a great fibre for optimal digestion), and a source of omega 3 fatty acids when freshly ground.
So ‘Brains & Beauty’ is the perfect shake for a new mom who needs an improved sense of mental clarity, lose fat, and most importantly, heal after childbirth. (Tip: if you’re a new mom looking for more help with all of these things, check out the health and fitness fundamentals online course for new moms here)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 small handful frozen berries
- 1 heaping tbsp almond butter
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 scoop protein powder (hemp is a great choice)
- 1 tbsp MCT oil
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- Add liquid first
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Blend and drink immediately
Definitely will try this shake!! Thank you for sharing
This is an especially great recipe for you mama 🙂
Amazing recipe. I will try this tomorrow!
Fantastic! Let me know how it goes 🙂